Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Unconditional

Last weekend began a new chapter in humility for me. It was a beautiful day and I had not a care in the world as I drove to meet friends for 'Mardi Crawl' on Shem Creek. Although I was not on my phone, applying mascara, or fiddling with the radio, I WAS driving on auto-piolet. And so it happened, at a red light I rear-ended two brothers who I would later learn live on the floor above me. It was harder than anticipated to watch Ovlov, my trusty Volvo of 6 years towed away, bleeding radiator fluid and sputtering steam. Calling my dad was, perhaps even more difficult than expected. My confession of carlesness was met with consolation and concern for my saftey. The unconditional love of a parent is beyond me. I don't understand it, but hope one day I can love another person in such a way.

Now, I find myelf lacking in the transportation department. I have been forced to forgoe my spur of the moment trips to Publix, the bank, or the gym, and am relying completly on the generosity of my friends to cart be to and fro. Admittedly, after a mere 4 days I am going a bit stir crazy. But, it is probably good for me to learn a lesson in the frivolous way I guzzle gas as well as the way I take for granted the privlidges of life, like a car and independence. But as my dad said, "It's still no fun!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry! It's tough to be an intern but even tougher without a car...I feel for you since I went through the pains of being car-less due to a breakdown in the middle of my clinical rotation. I hope you don't have to drive as far as I did to get to my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I can't imagine a breakdown mid clinical! So stressful! Luckily, Julie and I are in food service together right now, so I've been able to hitch a ride :)

    ReplyDelete