Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time.

Confession: I have an addiction....to sugar. I'm serious. There is the misconception that those in the field of dietetics have their eating completely out of control, eat only healthy foods, and are naturally skinny for life. It's a lie. I wish it was true, but really it's not.
Lately I've noticed my sugar consumption creeping up from once a week, to once a day, to I've lost count!! It's frightening, really. Yesterday, I had this realization that I am not getting any younger and good habits must start now. Did you know that once a fat cell is created it is never destroyed? It can only be shrunk, always remaining with the potential to plump back up again...literally. Also, our bodies are naturally programed for fat storage. This was handy back in the days of hunting and gathering when famine was around every corner. In today's society of excess, it is a bit inconvenient. Oh, and then there is the fact that your metabolism slows down with age. See where I am going with this?

My goal: BREAK THE SUGAR ADDICTION!!! Out with the bad habits, in with the good. It's time.

The plan: No concentrated sweets for 3o days. (All prayers and encouragement appreciated! haha)

What does this mean? I'm still defining the parameters of my mission, but for starters I have hidden my muffin mix, syrup, jelly, chocolate chips, gummy shark snacks, and baking supplies. I will also be auctioning off the remainder of the buckeye blitz ice cream.

They say it takes 30 days to make/break a habit. So, here we go. Care to join me?!?

3 comments:

  1. I have a major sweet tooth too, so I just don't buy desserts! I also use peanut butter on pancakes/waffles instead of syrup. And I find that a banana is the perfect sweetener for oatmeal! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how thrilled I was to find you had left a tip specifically about pancakes! They are a favorite Saturday morning tradition and I was going to be sad to see them go! Thanks so much for the tips! I'll keep yall posted!! -jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I have the Cheesecake Factory gift card you got for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete