Monday, January 11, 2010

Rescue that snack!!!


This week I made fruit kabob snacks with a group of 3rd graders during my Jr Doctors of health rotation. The kids LOVED skewering fresh apples, bananas, pineapple, and grapes and then rolling their creation in fat free vanilla yogurt and coconut. It was so much fun to watch them as some tried coconut for the first time and others bragged about how "all fruit was their favorite kind of fruit."

I wasn't exactly complaining when I went home with left over fruit, either! The sweet kiddos neglected the grapes at the end of the kabob line and I came home with a practically untouched bag of both red and green grapes, a delicacy in the house of unpaid interns! However, somewhere in the hubub of the week they became neglecgted crisper at the bottom of the fridge and today I realized, barring quick action, I was about to have raisins!

So, I stuck them in the freezer. I don't think I've had frozen grapes since highschool, but they used to be one of my favorite snacks! Their high water content gives them a delightfuly slushy texture and their sweetness can easily pass for desert. But, at only 62 calories per cup, there is absolutely no guilt in popping this sweet treat! And, you might find it a good way to resucue a forgotten snack!


No comments:

Post a Comment