Monday, January 4, 2010

Just say "no"

Julie's string of great posts has motivated me to return to my keyboard and START BLOGGING! All I can say for my absence is, it's been a whirlwind! But Julie and I are officially reunited on the island, I have recovered from my holiday sugar coma, and week one of spring semester is complete! I laughed out loud when I read Julie's account of jandjintern's "rough morning" last Monday! Needless to say, It was more than a little difficult to get back in the swing of things! But, we're down to one more semester. Time switch gears and finish strong!

All this gear switching is, as Julie said, going to require a great deal of flexibility and planning! Ingrid Michaelson says, "All we can do is keep breathing." So true, but I'm also going to keep cooking! Never am I more tempted to swing through the drive through, (there, I said it! I'm tempted by fast food!) than at the end of a long day. Let's face it, the thought of cooking a meal can be daunting! Heaven forbid you should have to go to the grocery store, too! Does rest for the weary mean compromising your waistline and health? Absolutely, not!

I read an article in Southern Living over Christmas that I found to be quite timely. It listed several "must have items" for every pantry. I realized this was a concept that, thanks to my father who taught me to watch the sales and buy in bulk, I was already subconsciously employing to some degree. So, I thought I'd share my list with you:

1. Can of black beans
2. Can of tomatoes
3. Box of whole wheat pasta
4. Frozen stir fry veggies
5. Garlic (I buy pre-minced in a jar)
6. Olive oil
7. Low sodium chicken broth
8. Quinoa

The beautiful thing about these items is that they are non-perishable. They can wait in your pantry for as much or little time as you need. So, when you're needing that quick meal you can convert your stash to soup, pasta, stir fry, ANYTHING!

Now, what if you're needing a low cal snack? A few I like to keep on hand:

1. Box sugar free chocolate pudding
2. 100 calorie pack kettle corn
3. No sugar added blueberry delight applesauce
4. Fiber One oats and chocolate bars (word to the wise: DRINK PLENTY OF WATER ..trust me!)

If you're the type of chef that prefers a recipe and measuring cup to an experimental pinch of this with a can of that, work backwards. Stock your pantry with the ingredients of one or two of your favorite recipes. With a stocked pantry, you'll have all the amunition you need to say "no" to the drive through and enjoy a healthful meal at home!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie & Johanna!

    I just found your blog, and I love it! I'm a dietetics student in Canada currently filling out internship applications (fingers crossed!).

    So great to connect with current interns!

    Great post, by the way. All of your pantry staples can also be found in my pantry as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for checking out our blog. good luck w everything! its a stressful process but the more you put into it, the better.

    julie&jo

    ReplyDelete