Monday, January 11, 2010

Carrot Cake with Fresh Orange Cream Frosting

In celebration of our first official roomie night in, Sunday, I made a carrot cake. Sometimes you just get an itch to bake, you know? I find this especially true when it's cold outside and I'm in need of a break from the practical. There's just something therapeutic about the methodical following of a recipe, the hum of the mixer, and the sweet smells from the oven. And don't baked goods just say, love? Maybe it's my Souther Baptist roots, but when I think baby, surgery, funeral, or job promotion, I think: take them a cake!

This Christmas my grandmother made the most heavenly carrot cake I have ever put in my mouth. I first asked for the recipe, and then if she would like to be featured on our blog. So, here's to you Mamaw :)

The recipe: Carrot cake with fresh orange cream frosting

Blend the following at minimum speed, increasing over 2 minutes:

  • 1 plain yellow cake mix
  • 1 pkg 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding
  • 2/3 C fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Fold in the following with a spatula:

  • 3 C grated carrots (5 medium) - Note: Do not try to use the baby carrots you have on hand. Buy regular carrots. Trust me, it is SO worth it!
  • 1/2 C Craisins
  • 1/2 C chopped nuts (Mamaw pecans)

Divide between 2 greased and floured, 9" round pans. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool upside down for 10 minutes on wire rack. Turn right side up and cool 30 minutes.


Fresh Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Blend:

  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese
  • 8 T butter

Add:

  • 3 C sifted powdered sugar
Add and blend until light and fluffy:

  • 2 T fresh orange juice
  • 1 T orange zest
Ice cake once COMPLETELY cool. Mamaw uses a beautiful swirling technique that I hope to someday master.

Feeling the need to improve the nutritional profile of this delicious cake, I used a reduced sugar Pillsbury cake mix, sugar free pudding, and fat free cream cheese. With the exception of the cream cheese these substitutions worked very well. Next time, I think I will use a reduced fat cream cheese in an effort to keep my icing on the cake!



1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this!! It looks wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete