Monday, March 22, 2010

When I grow up...

In reading over the blog, it seems that I (Johanna) have been MIA! I apologize for that. I'm not really one to be in front of my computer in the first place, and I'm afraid now that it's sunny and warm I've been a bit negligent of my writing! So, here are a few thoughts to catch you up.

For starters, I've noticed a trend. Every month when I tally my spending, I realize I have spent a disproportionate amount of money on food! Now, I'm not talking about swinging through the drive through or a daily Starbucks fix. I honestly do NOT do those things! Instead, I wait in eager anticipation for the Publix add, circle my favorite sale items, and "stock up." The problem is not that I buy frivolous items, it is that I'm generally already stocked from one of sever grocery runs earlier that week. The cashiers know me. I'm not kidding. I was discussing my habit with Julie yesterday as we waited for the bus. She just sighed and said, "I don't think you're going to kick that one." She's probably right. Ohhhh, I am my father's daughter!

As I reflect on my budgetary dilemma, I am currently drooling over the Cooking Light cookbook calling to me from its spot on our shelf. The first day of our culinary rotation left me oozing with enthusiasm and itching to cook! Watching the students in their crisp white uniforms, perfecting their besamel, throwing around words like 'allumette' (that has something to do with cutting a potato), made me wish I had paid a bit more attention in my food prep classes during college. I love the look, the technique, the language, and of course the tasty outcome. Our preceptor asked us this afternoon what we wanted to be when we grow up. I'm still figuring that one out, but I'm thinking culinary school might be somewhere in the plan! The school where we will be completing our rotation is starting a 'healthy baking' class/club. Now, if that doesn't scream dietetics I don't know what does!

So, when I grow up I want to be a cook (even if just for friends at home), and I think I also want to be a writer. I discovered a new field yesterday: health and wellness writing. Who knew this was a job title?! Apparently, there are companies who hire health care professionals to compile databases of articles, recipes, and other educational materials which are then purchased and utilized my hospitals and other corporations. I am now on a hunt to locate these people and offer free labor in exchange for tips and training! I'll keep you posted! Also, I beg you not to judge my future in this field based on my blog posts. Sometimes I forget to edit, and mom can send spelling/grammar e-mail alerts only so fast! Bless her for trying :)

That about wraps it up, I think. I'm off to eat some protein. We were designated taste-testers today. 10 culinary students x 4 potato dishes = waaaaay too much carbohydrate in my stomach!!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're on to something job wise. Oh, and was that a hint to send money?

    ReplyDelete