Thursday, March 4, 2010

Everything's Better with Peanut Butter

In review of the week's menu, it seems I've been on a bit of an Asian kick. Last night's peanut butter noodles really started a few weeks ago when I broke down and bought a jar of the tempting goodness. In fact, at 9 PM on a Friday night, I went into Publix with only one goal: peanut butter. Sometimes I wonder what the Publix cashiers think of me! Anyway, I feel that peanut butter is an appropriate accompaniment to most any food item, so when Dana referenced "her peanut butter noodles," I decided this was something I must try!

Peanut Butter Noodles:

1/2 C chicken broth
1 1/2 T minced fresh ginger root (if using powdered reduce to 1 or 2 t)
3 T low sodium soy sauce
3 T peanut butter
1 1/2 T honey
2 t hot chili paste, optional (I used a spicy stir-fry sauce I had on hand)
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz Udon noodles (I used whole-wheat angel hair because I had it on hand)
1/4 C green onions, chopped
1/4 C chopped peanuts

* I recommend adding extra veggies such as broccoli and red peppers. Really you can throw in anything you have on hand (ie Red cabbage. Yes, I STILL have red cabbage!!),

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to package.
2. Meanwhile, combine chicken broth, ginger, soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, chili paste, and garlic in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until peanut butter is melted and sauce is heated through.
3. Add noodles, toss to coat. (If using extra veggies, steam and add at this point) Garnish with green onions and peanuts.

Delish!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you: everything IS better with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete