Monday, March 22, 2010

rosemary

As Jo and I drove into work today, I said, "are you excited for culinary school?" She said frankly, "this is one of the main reasons why I wanted to come to MUSC, so yes!" Well, if that doesn't add any pressure to our week, I don't know what else would.

Adorned in our borrowed and 3-sizes-too-big chef jackets, the 8 of us made our way throughTrident Tech Culinary School in awe. If you didn't already know, most dietitians love food therefore they love cooking. Needless to say, the interns were in culinary heaven.

We listened attentively to Chef Barker's instruction and watched the students' every chop and stir. I truly think I would be content sitting in a kitchen all day. Maybe because of my fond family memories associated with cooking or maybe because it truly is an art in itself.

Chef alloted us the strenuous task of ... taste testing (tough week, I know) The first dish was aroasted rosemary potato, a dish I unfailingly request every time I go home. The smell of rosemary immediately transcends my thoughts to pulling branches off our rosemary plant for my father, always wanting to be his sous chef. The name of this herb is just as beautiful as the taste and memories it brings.

We left Trident Tech today with full bellies and peaceful minds. Being surrounded by cooking brings a feeling of comfort. Today filled my perpetual void of missing home. I've come to terms with it being that my parents, brother, and I have lived hours apart for years and probably always will. But I have to say, I favor the days where that void feels somewhat diminutive.

We are all looking forward to what this week will bring.

Here are a few pictures...








Before the chef coats
















so many taste tests












candied sweet potatoes
rosemary roasted potatoes
dutchess potatoes













NOT my favorite...

No comments:

Post a Comment