Sunday, March 28, 2010

Product Alert!


When I was home a few weeks ago, my cousin told me about her new favorite salad dressing: Girard's light champagne vinaigrette. She claimed it was so good that she and her friends had developed a phone tree to alert each other of sales. I've always been pretty loyal to my Light Done Right raspberry vinaigrette, but decided to give it a shot (Emily has never led me astray in the culinary arena).


She was right, it's FABULOUS! 50% less fat than the original (with none of that "I'm a light dressing taste"), brings it to just 30 calories and 2.5 grams of fat in a tablespoon! Since this discovery, I've been practically living off spring salad blend topped with a few crumbles of goat cheese, a small palm full of almonds, and sliced pear. Yummm! Apples substitute well for pears, or the fruit can be replaced entirely with red pepper, cucumber, and tomato.



Salad is a great way to eat with the seasons. As fall apples and pears dwindle, berries are becoming more readily available. Likewise cucumbers, tomatoes, beets, peppers, and mushrooms will soon be abounding! With the right dressing (portioned wisely, of course), salad can incorporate any fruit or vegetable on hand for a tasty side dish. Add a protein such as a lean meat, nuts, or cheese, and it can become a quick and healthy meal! Try making an extra large salad for dinner and packaging leftovers for the next day's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment