Thursday, December 24, 2009

Lessons from the ICU

Working Christmas Eve was a little harder than I expected. Empty staff parking lots and full ICUs are not exactly joyful, and the irony of Christina Aguilera holiday playing as a backdrop to medical emergency was hard to swallow. But I realized a few things today. First, I am so blessed that this Christmas my family is on the other side of the hospital bed, and can rejoice in health and the Lord's provision. Second, I realized this week how important it is to slow down and see people. No matter how sick, no patient is ever just a list of signs and symptoms or necessary medical interventions. Everyone needs to be listened to, encouraged, and valued. I am thankful to be part of a profession that has the opportunity to intervene in people's lives both medically and relationaly when they need it most. Such an opportunity is worth spending the holidays at work. Which brings me to my last point, ultimately, Christmas is just another day. The gift of Christ's birth and time spent with those we love are gifts to be treasured all year. So whether we gather together on Christmas, the day before, or the day after, really makes no difference. What matters is that wherever we are, we are all there. Let's not take a day for granted, or miss an opportunity to slow down and see someone in need.

Merry Christmas Eve wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment