Sunday, December 27, 2009

To soy or not to soy?

I've slowly become a soy food junkie over the past few years. It took a few trials and some time to get used to the texture but I'm proud to say, edamame, tofu, and other soy products are some of my favorite foods.

So you probably ask youself... WHY SOY?!
- Soy originates from a soybean or legume, naturally low in fat and high in protein
- Contains omega 3 fatty acids = the good fat!
- Source of complete protein (with all essential amino acids)
- Vegetarian and vegan approved

Many people frown at the thought of "tofu". Who would want to eat something with such a horrible name?! You do not need to eat raw tofu or edamame to get your fill. There are many food products that incorporate soy into their tasty dishes .

Soy nuggets were one of my staple soy products while living in Chicago this summer. If I didn't know better, I thought I was eating Wendys chicken nuggets! I preached to everyone about these nuggets and even made my boyfriend try them... he loved them, although he hated to admit it. They can be purchased at Trader Joes Grocery Store. Unfortunately there isn't a Trader Joes in Charleston, so I have been missing out. (Anyone know of another grocery store that has them?!).

The nutrition facts are:
Serving Size: 4 nuggets
Calories: 120
Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 490 mg
Protein: 12 g




Protein is digested more slowly, therefore it keeps you full longer. Combine these nuggets with a salad or some rice for a delicious lunch. Jo has a hard time with milk, so she enjoys her soy milk everyday. There are also soy burgers, soy milk, soy cheese, soy granola bars... the list is endless!

Challenge yourself this new year to experiment with new foods and give soy a try

No comments:

Post a Comment