Wednesday, December 23, 2009

julie's favorite day of the year

Christmas Eve is without a doubt my favorite day of the year. I would pass up any holiday or holiday meal for this occasion. Every family has their own holiday traditions... for the Alessi family, December 24th surpasses the rest. In the Italian culture, Christmas Eve is the Feast of the 7 fishes, rooted in the abstinence of meat on this holy day. Ever since I could remember, my family spent the entire day together in the kitchen preparing for the feast that lie ahead. Now that there are only 4 of us, we don't always make seven fishes, but we try to get close.


Hors d'oeuvre
king crab legs (MY FAVORITE)
cold shrimp
assortment of cheeses
seared scallops wrapped in proiscuitto
home made Italian bread (compliments of my father and I)






First course
Aleeche (pronounced all-eej). This is a Neopolitan pasta dish with an olive oil, garlic, onion, and anchovy sauce. This dish makes Christmas Eve special because I cannot order it any Italian restaurants - I would need a place ride to Italy! My grandmother taught my dad and my dad taught me so I someday can make for my family. This is the only day of the year we make it.


Main Course ... I'm really getting full by this one!
Breaded tilapia and salad



Dessert
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Christmas cookies

Holiday memories and joy are often rooted in our meals. Everyone has their own way of celebrating this day; whether it be chinese take out, a traditional meal of fishes, or a quick fix dinner thrown together by your mother who hates to cook but tries anyways for the love of her family. I hope you treasure this day with your families, around a dinner table set just the way you like it.















having too much fun with crab legs... and my brother being a good sport with my candy cane headband on

No comments:

Post a Comment