Sunday, November 15, 2009

Please Reference "Mean Girls"

Last week, I (Julie) had my weight management/bariatric rotation. Half the week was spent following dietitians who work in MUSC's beautiful and Gold Standard bariatric clinic. I listened to classes given to patients contemplating which surgery they prefer: Gastric Banding (placing a removalable/adjustable band around the top of the stomach to limit the amount and speed of ingested food) or Gastric Bypass (more intense, surgical procedure to remove and re-reroute the stomach). I hate to say it, but before this rotation I felt these surgeries were an "easy" way out. Although I will always be an advocate for a well rounded, healthy lifestyle, most of the bariatric patients have an addiction to food and are at risk of death. They've failed diet after diet. This is their last resort. These surgeries are not a quick fix, as I assumed before. Patients are only expected to lose 40-70% of excess weight (actual weight - calculated ideal weight). I enjoyed this rotation because dietitians are a crucial health personnel in their surgery and success. Patients must make extreme lifestyle changes that continue long after surgery. For the many successful patients, I saw a fair amount of people who regained the weight. I love how Nina and Debbie (bariatric RD's) conduct support classes, education classes, newsletters, and form relationships with their patients.

The other part of the week was spent with Tonya, an RD who is the weight loss expert. MUSC has weight loss programs: working with RD's to make food plans, consulting exercise physiologists, lab testing, weekly weigh-ins. One of the more intense programs, FOCUS, asks patients to eat 3 protein rich bars, 2 shakes, 6 oz meat, and 2 servings of veggies, each day for a month. Tonya gave me a HUGE bag of sample bars and shakes. I thought to myself: "Yess! I am a poor intern and this can be my food for the next week. Easy as that." Well let's just say... i was miserable! I felt bad for the dietitians I ate with all week. I was constantly hungry, complaining, and craving my standard lunch: salad, granola bar, yogurt, and a piece of white chocolate. I felt unhealthy and like I was in Mean Girls (if you've seen this movie - you'll laugh). I ended up cheating all week and loved going to the grocery this weekend.

I realized how overwhelming it must be for people to lose weight. It would be like someone giving me $3,000 and telling me to invest my money. I would be clueless! This must be how people feel when attempting weight loss. The bars and shakes ae good way to start them off understanding how hunger feels and smaller portions. It is not a realistic way of living but makes a smoother transition into independently choosing their foods.

As future RD's, it's crucial to understand where our patients are coming from and erase prior judgements. Everyone has their own battle. It's not our job to judge, but it is our job to help.


Jo has this rotation this week - let's see if she does it! I'm going to bet she feels the same way

Hope you all like the new web design!





See ya later bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment