Friday, November 13, 2009

My long lost friend

STOP. Put the salt shaker down. Do those veggies really need that?!

Yes, you are reading this right. I, Julie Alessi, have put the salt shaker down. For those of you who have not spent enough time with me, you may not realize the severity of my salt addiction. I’ll eat it on anything, everything, and by itself. I go to work everyday educating people on the effects of a high sodium diet: high blood pressure, heart health, edema (fluid retention), and ulcers. It would be unfair for me to not practice what I preach. It’s been a gradual process, but I am proud to say this was my first almost salt-free week.

The combination of less salt and more water = a less bloated Julie. It’s amazing the difference I feel, even in my fingers. The only shaking that should be done in the kitchen should be coming from your booty!

- - Use other herbs/spices to season your otherwise bland food.

- - Mrs. DASH makes new tasty marinades and seasonings. They are a great substitute for otherwise salty dressings. I realized last week that my Teriyaki Marinade had 480 mg per 2 tablespoons... yikes! Not good - especially with salt added on top.

- - Watch your labels. As a rule of thumb look for <5%>

- FACT: The recommended sodium intake is less than 4 g or 4,000 mg (less than 2 tsp) per day. If on a low sodium diet for heart health: 2 g or 2,000 mg per day. You’d be appalled to see how much sodium is in processed foods. Even if you aren’t adding it on top, it may be hidden in your foods. Do your research and become educated in the effects of the things you put into your body. If I can do it, so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment