Friday, November 6, 2009

microwave eggs

Julie finished her last inpatient rotation this week, while I concluded my first week of outpatient rotations. I worked with two incredible dietitians who sincerely love their jobs and passionately serve their clients. Each worked with cardiac patients. One focused on adults while the other ran a heart health program for kids. They both had an incredible ability to relate to each patient individually, educating, motivating, and facilitating change. It was such a breath of fresh air.

In talking to Amy, one of the dietitians, today, I had an epiphany of sorts. She told me a story of a doctor who had been commenting to her husband (a surgeon) about just how smart Amy was. The doctor went on to state that Amy should have gone to med school. Her husband pointed out that, in fact, it was good that she had not gone to med school because it is important to have smart dietitians as well. Dietitics is not the path for those who cannot quite cut it in med school. It is a respectable profession that should be regarded as integral to the medical team. Don't get me wrong, I was not previously under the impression that dietitians were dumb. I was, however, frustrated with the limited patient interaction I was having and with the seeming lack of regard given to our work. Our conversation revealed that my standing among the medical team is in some ways my choice. It is my responsibility to build repor with other medical personell, it is my job to challenge myself and continue to learn not only the latest nutrition recommendations, but general information that will help me treat my patients in light of the full clinical picture. It is my obligation to lay eyes on my patients and to include them and their family in discussions regarding their care. If I want to have influence and voice in patient care, I must take initiative to establish myself as a competent and indispensible no matter what job I take.

Not only did I have this epiphany today, but I fell in love. The most precious couple came to the clinic this afternoon. The wife had a laundry list of conditions, surgeries, and "events," and her husband was so clearly devoted to her care. It really did remind me why it is I don't want to spend my life with just anyone. This man took notes at every doctors appointment, combed the grocery isles for the best products to make his wife well, and gently reminded her that she infact was not having turkey sandwiches for lunch, but rather had been taking peanutbutter and bacon on rye. He also mentioned she sometimes has egg salad. Consequently, I was inspired not only to hold out for a faithful, compasionate man, but also to microwave eggbeaters for dinner with a little mustard and mayo. It tasted like my Dad's egg salad. Mostly.


In class a few weeks ago we learned the basics of performing a general physical assessment (breath sounds, bowl sounds, heart sounds). The gastroenterologist who manages the dietitians at MUSC wants all dietitians perfoming these skills on every patient.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. You are well on your way to becoming a competent and indispensable RD and you make me very proud. Hold out for that faithful, compassionate man. You deserve nothing less and he will be a very fortunate man, indeed. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete