Thursday, October 29, 2009

Outpatient Rotations

Let me first say, I have always prided myself on loving a fast-paced, demanding work environment. After 10 weeks of inpatient, I am remiss to say I am absolutely thrilled in be in an outpatient setting with cancellations, down time, emailing, chatting, and not running around the hospital like a chicken with its head caught off. Yes, I am thoroughly enjoying starting my days at 10 AM, 11 AM, and even 1 PM! It's been a much needed break. This week I've been working with 2 Heart Healthy dietitians. The adult cardiovascular dietitian, Amy Mendez, and the pediatric dietitian, Janet Carter. Amy is one the most professional, well educated, well spoken dietitians I have had the privilege to work with. She does an amazing job at counseling patients who are often quite challenging. People don't want to admit what they eat! Let alone listen to someone advising them to stop eating their vegetables with lard in them.

Working with Janet reminded me of how much I enjoy children. I think I like working with them nutritionally because its teaching healthy habits at a early age. Although her population of children are already extremely overweight, she works with them to change their lifestyle. The most frustrating situations are those where the parents refuse to stop eating at Bojangles each morning or cutting the whole milk out of the house. It's sad when the parents are the biggest barrier in losing weight.

Jo ended in Peds this week which she was very happy about. She is currently in the rotation with Amy/Janet while I am back into my scrubs....

No comments:

Post a Comment