Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I don't want to be a frog either

Well as I went to update you all of our latest adventures, I noticed that Jo beat me to it! I don't know how i will ever beat her frog story, that left me cracking up as I was just as surprised with this analogy as you probably were. And yes, I laughed, but it is another reminder of why I love my roommate oh so much. Jo - i hope you don't end up cozy in a pot of boiling water either! I'll be sure to come dump you out of it if need be.

On that note... I too enjoyed Low Country Food Bank. It is an amazing business that connects to many aspects of nutrition - provides food to those who qualify, educate families on nutrition, have backpack programs and gardening programs for children. I spent the summer learning my fair share about the perks of gardening from the Alessi Family Farmers! I felt so well knowledged in the benefits of growing a vegetable garden. It is truly amazing how much just one zucchini plant can produce, I swear I almost turned into a zucchini this summer... Anyways, we were able to see Low Country Food Bank's on site garden and help our director with some manual work. At first I was not pleased to put out in the "cold" (60 degree) weather to do manual labor, but ended up enjoying it. We raked, played with wheelbarrows, shoveled, transported plants, and ran around to keep the blood flowing! This was a small orientation to our future project with LCFB. In case you were wondering, they grew - bananas, lettuce, jalepenos, peppers, eggplant, pineapples, apples, lemons, and a variety of herbs. We will be making a gardening tool kit for LCFB to use in educating families/kids on the benefits of gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment