Sunday, October 25, 2009

i guess we can skip the fall?

Hello readers! Jo blogged for us last week - so I think it's my turn. October is a beautiful month in Charleston. Yes, I am still struggling to grasp the fact that it truly is this warm! We had one day of "cold" last week in which we threw on our prettiest dress coats and made the trek into work where we counted down the minutes for the bus to arrive while standing in our heels. Other than that, it's been tank tops and sunshine. No gold and orange leaves yet, I don't think palm trees change colors!

My 2week Pediatric rotation is over (while Jo is just about to begin her final week). It proved to be difficult and took some time to adjust to new calculations and concepts. It is unbelievable how many calories little babies need for their weight. The past 2 weeks had some highs... seeing a little kid able to leave the hospital. But also many lows, listening to the doctors tell a family their baby may not make it. Although I will be the first one to volunteer for babysitting, I don't think Pediatrics will be my main focus. Too sad for this intern.

My main project for the year is National Nutrition Month (in March). I had my first meeting with our head dietitian to discuss events. The theme is "Nutrition From the Ground Up". Needless to say, lots of vegetable and gardening will be involved! One of our idea includes price cuts for healthy menu items to encourage better choices in the cafeteria. We are also contemplating a frequent buyer card - receiving a stamp for each healthy item purchased. Each card can be turned in for a raffle/free menu item. What do you all think?! Updates to come... it's a few months away but takes so much planning, I'm trying to start early

I think many of the interns are feeling a bit burned out. Projects are starting to pile on, rotations are proving more tasking, preceptors are more critical, and we are fully exhausted. To relieve some stress, we had an intern night where we watched the Proposal (cute chick flick) and another night of getting pizza at Mellow Mushroom. This weekend Jo, Shelly, and I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity. It felt awesome to help out and use the gift of our hands. Jo was in charge of cleaning the inside of the house (poor thing - she had just cleaned ours the day before!) Shelly and I touched up on our gardening skills by planting shrubs in the front yard. I was hesitant at first since I'm not very good at manual labor but it felt great to do something outside my comfort zone. Jo and I came home to a nice afternoon nap then out to watch UK football. GO CATS! (I knew Jo would like that in here)

Tomorrow we head to Low Country Food Bank to begin Jo's main project. We will be teaching the value of gardening to local families. The details are unclear, but after tomorrow I'm sure we'll have more to tell!

Habitat For Humanity





















No comments:

Post a Comment