Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not for the faint of heart

If you have wondered the reason behind the ever increasing gaps in our blogs, it is due to the fact that we now go to bed at 9 and spend our Friday evenings grocery shopping. It would seem we are not yet acclimated to hospital life. We have however, discovered that vanilla caramel coffee mate creates a coffee experience similar to that found at Duncan Donuts, lunches are best packed the night before, and how to best place band-aids for blister prevention. We have also become experts at the hospital shuttle schedule and took great joy in all the flustered and confused newcomers this morning. Ahh, the joys of being a seasoned professional. That being said, we have found our new routine to be a bit tiring, though familiar. Being in a classroom trying to become oriented takes a great deal of concentration and has proved somewhat draining. The good news is "boot camp" is not nearly as intimidating as we feared. We are so blessed to be a part of a teaching hospital where, "I don't know but I will look it up," is an acceptable answer and every question is treated with respect.

So, that is the update for now. We are tired but content, a bit apprehensive, but ready to hit the floor and meet our first patients ( that happens Tuesday, by the way). I'm sure we will have many a story after that!

Clarification: I was unsure why my mom was so perplexed by the last blog...until I re-read it. I probably should have mentioned we were being fit for our TB masks. Its standard precaution in the hospital. Sorry!! Sometimes I get all dramatic and caught up in the writing, forgetting I have to fill in the facts!


No comments:

Post a Comment