Monday, April 19, 2010

Grownups knows best?

I went to Chick-fil-a for lunch today ; just had to use a coupon that had been burning a hole in my pocket. Milkshake in hand, I settled at a corner table prime for people watching.

I chuckled as I watched a mother repeatedly tell her son that if he did not eat his icecream cone (at a young age he had already developed an affinity for people watching which outweighed his desire for lunch), she was going to have to take it away. She did in fact take away his icecream cone and proceded to eat it herself. For the record she did not seem too put out about eating the rejected cone.

Soon after, a Dad and his son sat down beside me. The scene was similar as the Dad bribed the preschooler; "Eat another chicken strip and then you can go play!" Perhaps my train of thought would have been different if the child had been encouraged to finish his green beans, but I began to wonder at what point we lose our desire to play and turn to food for entertainment.

Now, I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't enjoy our food. The whole scenario just made me think that maybe we adults had a few things to learn from our young counterparts about eating and playing and the balance of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment