Monday, September 21, 2009

Loving Our Internship

Hello friends! We had a great weekend... Here is a recap -

*Friday was a busy day in the hospital. Jo and I continued to "tag team" our patients. We have found that we work great together and feel much more comfortable seeing patients. Some of our Friday tasks included: carbohydrate counting educations for diabetic patients, dietary assessments for a woman aiming to gain weight (she was only 87 lbs!), and recommending tube feeds for cancer patients. The days are interesting but we were surely happy for the weekend. Jo, Dana (another intern), and I spent Friday night laying 3 deep in my bed watching movies, enjoying homemade popcorn and Diet Cherry Limeaids from Sonic. It was the perfect way to end the long week.

*We woke up Saturday morning to sunshine and a perfect pool day. We got our fill of Vitamin D at our pool with Karen (another intern). I then went to Whole Foods/Publix for my favorite part of the week... GROCERY SHOPPING! It's not as fun shopping on my budget and makes a longer trip since I'm constantly comparing prices. (Are you proud mom?!) I have been lucky to find a babysitting job for a family in Charleston and help out about once a week. He is a great kid and I love the parents. He reminds me a lot of my little brother when he was young; watches the military channel, reads the wall street journal, is way smarter than me, and a pleasure to be around. I just need to get better at my Wii and nerf gun skills. While I was babysitting, the girls went to a restaurant on Bowen's Island that was featured in the TV show "Man vs Food" on the Travel Channel. I wish I had a more exciting story about their dinner but unfortunately no one had a crazy, abnormally large and unhealthy meal, they just enjoyed some down home southern cooking. We then reunited back at our apartment for a nice night out.

Our internship director, Kelley, makes sure we do projects throughout the year to supplement our rotations. There are so many populations in dire need of nutrition education, it's hard to see it all in just 10 months. We have 8 main projects, one of us assigned to Project Manager since there are 8 interns. This week we've been working on our Bake Sale. We are asked to form a budget, market our product, and earn a profit. We will do two bake sales throughout the year in hopes of learning from the first and producing a better outcome the second time around. Here's our theme... "Something Extra to Your Ordinary". We will be selling zucchini brownies, beet cake, pumpkin muffins, and carrot cookies. Previous intern classes have sold typical bakery choices, but we we couldn't bring ourselves to do it! We believe there is no need to restrict sweets completely, just eat in moderation... and maybe squeeze in some veggies when possible! Each goodie will include the recipe card with healthy tips when baking. We want to make more than just a profit, we hope to educate people on making healthy choices. "Give a person a fish and you will feed them for a day: Teach them to fish and you feed them for a lifetime." What do you all think of our idea?!

Don't worry... we will be sure to give you recipes and tips : )
More to come this week with hospital updates...



























No comments:

Post a Comment